I design many couture caftans for Bergdorf Goodman. I love working with the fabrics and shimmering hand beaded embellishments to create these timeless goddess garments. A beautiful caftan creates a very glamorous look, and can be a head-turner, with a very minimal amount of effort. Flattering, flowing, free and very feminine, the caftan is one of those articles of clothing that will never go out of style. It is also very forgiving and looks good on every body type. A pretty caftan can work for home entertaining, or can be dressed up for a night out, ideal for a summer garden party or on vacation over cocktails at sunset.
So don’t be afraid to try the flowing goddess look! Here is some fashion advice, when choosing a caftan:
- Always choose a caftan with the right length. If the dress touches the ground it will drag and ruin the fabric.
- If you have a wider waist and want to look slimmer, choose an empire style, which will flare out from under your bust and make your waist and hips look smaller.
- If you are a more petite woman, don’t choose very large prints or patterns, as they will swamp a small frame. Instead, go for a smaller and more delicate pattern or a solid color.
- When it comes to accessorizing your maxi dress with jewelry, bigger is better. Small and delicate necklaces just don’t get noticed against a caftan. Try bold pieces.
- To make your caftan glamorous for a night out, wear a pair of metallic high heeled strappy sandals with a bit of sparkle.
- If you need a coverup to keep warm when going out, wear a silky wrap or shawl that adds a contrast to the color of the gown.